We understand that buying fish online, sight unseen can be daunting. At Reef Beauties, we guarantee live arrival and survival of most* livestock items up to 15 days beginning with delivery of your order.
Our experts hand-pick the specimens that we ship for their health and quality. As long as your specimens are acclimated properly and promptly (please refer to our Acclimation Guide), arrive on time, and are compatible with your system, your fish will do very well in your tank.
We ship using the fastest service available, FedEx Priority Overnight and UPS Next Day Air, for delivery by 10:30 AM (or either Noon or 4:30 PM in rural areas). Please expect an email with your tracking number before 7:00 PM PST the day your order is shipping.
*We cannot guarantee "expert" care level items. Please see below for more:
Livestock Guarantee Details
- As with all guarantee programs with other stores, each claim is handled on a case-by-case basis. However, we are here for you and will always resolve claims in your favor as long as you communicate with us and the below requirements are satisfied. We will not be finding excuses to not honor your claim.
- If covered items do not make it within 15 days, we will issue store credit in the form of a non-expiring gift card for the amount that you can use at your personal discretion or transfer to a friend as a gift. Please do not file a guarantee claim asking for a refund, as this policy of store credit is an inherent part of our business model and contributes to how we price our livestock.
- We can only guarantee live arrival for "expert" fish because some of these species do not handle stress from environmental conditions (such as water quality, landscape of your tank, other fish) well, or because they have specialized feeding requirements. Some fish are simply difficult to care for and have too many factors that we cannot guarantee.
- We can only guarantee live arrival for Cold-water species endemic to California, such as rays, sharks, and others.
- We can only guarantee live arrival for eels as they are prone to making their way out of the tank and can be highly sensitive to their environment.
- We do not guarantee coral and clams beyond live arrival due to their sensitivity to their environment. These items require optimal conditions to maintain color and health, we can only promise to send beautiful, healthy specimens that arrive in great shape and ready to color your tank up. If you ordered a WYSIWYG item, we of course guarantee that that is the item you will receive.
- We do not guarantee replacement items beyond live arrival; there is a good chance that if 2/2 of the same fish do not make it that it may not be a compatible species with your tank.
- We cannot guarantee items that arrived due to a delay caused by weather
- By not following proper acclimation procedures, all warranties can be voided.
- Shipping costs and related packaging fees are not covered by any guarantee and are non-refundable.
- There are no guarantees on livestock that is free.
- Store credit is not cash and cannot be combined with other offers.
- As we are shipping live animals, someone must be available to receive the shipment on the first delivery attempt -- even if the carrier delivers the package late. You will be provided with a tracking number on all shipments.
- If your order is delayed by the carrier, you are still required to be available to accept the shipment and acclimate all contents before contacting us. Delayed orders are handled on a case-by-case basis.
- If a delivery is refused or returned for any reason, the customer will be held liable for the full cost of the invoice and voids all guarantees and warranties with no recourse.
- If you are not present when your order is delivered, AKA "Delivery Attempted," your guarantee will be voided.
- We always check the weather and will contact you if we are aware of potential weather issues. If you are aware of any potential weather issues, please email us and we will make arrangements to ship another day.
Claims are not covered for livestock that has died as a result of tank environment, including the following scenarios:
- Physical trauma and/or evidence of fighting with, aggression from, or getting eaten by tank mates
- You refused or were unable to follow recommended procedures to treat fish that developed illnesses or other issues during the guarantee period
- Tank not of recommended size
- Animal jumped from tank or injured/died from getting sucked into pumps
- You cannot find the animal or get it out of the tank to provide a video
- Lack of a sand bed for a sand-burrowing fish
- Tank water chemistry MUST BE within the following parameters: Temp between 75-83 F and constant, Ammonia 0.0 ppm, Nitrite 0.0-30 ppm, pH 8.1-8.4, Specific Gravity 1.020-1.026.
We reserve the right to refuse guarantees in cases where numerous deaths keep occurring, indicating an environmental issue with the tank.
We reserve the right to ask for additional photo, video or water samples in certain cases.
How to Submit a Livestock Claim:
While we have this guarantee in place to give you confidence in purchasing, it is important that we are able to verify that the item in question is actually deceased and that it did not perish due to unstable water parameters, incompatibility with tank mates, improper acclimation, and more. Sadly there is quite a bit of fraud and abuse of guarantee programs, so every claim is handled on a case by case basis.
To file a claim, the process is very simple:
- If anything is DOA or does not make it in 15 days, please take a clear photo or video of it on a plain background and out of water. You may have multiple items in the same photo.
- If anything arrives unwell, please take a photo and email us so we can document it for your case.
- Email the photo to email@example.com, with you Order Number in the subject line, along with any details in the email, such as water temp on arrival, heat packs not working, damage to the box, leaking bags, etc.
- If you have multiple specimens of one fish/invert that die (i.e. 5 Copperband Butterflies, 5 Grn Chromis, 3 Cleaner Shrimps), it is important to preserve all deceased bodies. In order to receive credit for multiple specimens, we require all deceased specimens to be in the same picture.
- Preserve the deceased specimen by placing it in a plastic bag, sprinkling 1 TSP of salt over it, and then freezing it, in the event that we ask for the return of the specimen or additional documentation. This may occur for higher-value items. Once your claim and credit have been processed, you may discard the specimen.
We will review your claim and issue store credit, or email you requesting additional information, such as video, picture of the tank with tank mates, or water parameters.
Taking a clear photo or video and providing as much information as possible (e.g. perfect tank parameters, picture of leaking bag, record of water temp on arrival) will result in the quickest resolution and save time for both parties. Claim processing can take up to 72 hours, but on business days you will receive your credit usually within 24 hours.
Once your store credit is issued, you will receive a confirmation email with your code and you will be able to use it right away.
What to do if an item arrives alive but unwell:
Our goal is to ensure the items you receive thrive in your tank. If an item arrives alive but did not make the journey well, please drip acclimate it (if you are familiar and have the right equipment, this method is best when fish are stressed) and email us right away. We ask that you keep an eye on it and medicate if necessary, and you can always email us for treatment recommendations. In many cases like this, if issues persist throughout the 15 days we have extended the guarantee as necessary.
Maintaining communication with us is always best!
In any case, as long as you maintain an open line of communication with us and ensure that we are aware of any issues with your order, it will be documented in your case, and it will help ensure a favorable resolution for you!